Saturday, January 11, 2014

Sweater story

Last summer I bought this online knitting class through Craftsy.com, mostly just to get the pattern for an adorable sweater featuring squirrels, acorns, and fall leaves around the yoke. As a fairly experienced knitter, I didn't expect to actually learn anything new. Wow, was I wrong! Last May I wrote about the stocking cap I made instead of a boring old swatch.

By mid-September, I had completed the body and sleeves up to the armpits. I had a bad feeling as I was going that it was coming out too big (I think my gauge for plain old one-color knitting might be looser than my 2-color gauge). Sure enough, when I laid it out on one of Annabelle's sweaters, I could see that it was indeed too big:



So I ripped it out and started over! I worked on sleeves during our trip to Rochester in October:



My goal this winter was to get it finished so that she could have it to take back to school with her after the break. Here it is being blocked:



And the finished product:



I'm really pleased with the way it turned out, and wow, is it ever warm! I think I would like to make a similar sweater for myself with the same yarn but maybe a different motif for the yoke.

No comments: