Sunday, May 02, 2010

Happy birthday to Fred!

Today is Fred's birthday, but we're holding off the celebration for another couple of weeks. He is already in the process of sending stuff home as the end of the deployment starts to come into sight, so it didn't make much sense for me to send still MORE stuff in that direction.

I posted this song on his Facebook wall today, but I'll share it here as well:



I became aware of it for the first time when we were on vacation in Jamaica last year, and I always think of Fred when I hear it.

Other notable happenings of the day:

The kids had their first rehearsal for Bye Bye, Birdie and enjoyed themselves. I'm glad they get to share this experience this summer before Mike goes off to college.

While they were rehearsing, I went shopping. I absolutely SCORED on workout wear at TJMaxx--4 bottoms, 3 tops. I guess this means I have to keep going to the gym . . .

I also went to the fabric store, where I fell in love with the most amazing fabric. It's kind of a very short terry-cloth or velour knit, but it's as stable as a woven because it has an eyelet design sewn into it:



It was on sale for $3 a yard, so five yards of it followed me home, but I don't know what it wants to be. Any ideas? I see it as a skirt or sundress, but it's pretty heavy--those 5 yards weigh 5 pounds!

Vogue patterns were on sale for $4, so I grabbed this one:



Can you believe that the retail price for that pattern is $27.50? That's insane!

I also bought 2 Butterick patterns the other day:



and



So now I have 3 patterns with no fabric and 5 pounds/yards of fabric with no pattern.

6 comments:

Mom said...

Would you like to see my fabric collection? It is vintage!! I like the patterns you bought and the fabric. Oddly enough, I have been drawn to black and white lately and bought a beautiful B/W knit dress at TJMaxx.

Bonnie said...

I have some of your vintage fabric! Remember the corduroy cats? My fabric is actually navy and white, but it looks black in the scan. It's funny because I used to be a HUGE fan of navy--in law school, I had 4 navy blue skirts--but I haven't been into it in years.

Anonymous said...

You still have the corduroy cats?? That is amazing! I had planned to make you a jumper when you were 6 years old. When that didn't happen I gave it to Suzie for Becky. That didn't happen either. Now it has gone full circle. What will you do with it?

Mom said...

The above anonymous comment was from me. Don't know what happened, but it posted before I could sign it.

Anonymous said...

I think I may have had that Vogue pattern way back before it was "vintage." I'm pretty sure I didn't pay that price for it though. Gee, that makes me wish I hadn't lost my patterns when I moved from Leesburg; I'll bet I could have sold that one on e-bay!

Sorry I didn't get to this sooner; I spent most of yesterday in the ER--diagnosis, pneumonia. Now I'm on an antibiotic and a powerful pain prescription. David goes into the hospital Friday for removal of his aritificial knee. Fun and games!

Love, Grandma

Love, Grandma

Bonnie said...

Grandma, I have at least a couple of your "vintage" patterns! I hope you and Dave are on the mend real soon. Love ya!