Saturday, January 31, 2009

Getting back to normal

The first day of this storm was fun and exciting. The second and third days were stressful, with the loss of electricity and uncertainty about what we should do. Yesterday was better, and today has been downright pleasant. Today is sunny and warm (oh, how low have my standards become when 34 degrees feels nice?!), and the ice is dropping from the trees and power lines. Fort Knox sounds like Rice Krispies.

The dog has not coped especially well with the storm. For one thing, her potty schedule is all kinds of messed up. Also, the terror of listening to the trees fall the other night seems to have given her night-time anxiety about her kennel. Her kennel is her happy place and the one spot I can feel 100% certain that she won't have a potty accident, which also makes it MY happy place. I really cannot afford to have her taking a negative attitude toward her crate, which is why I ventured forth to E'town today to score some Valium. For the dog, for the dog! I am a teensy bit jealous though, I admit, and can't help but think that if I took the Valium, she could use the whole house for her restroom and that would be fine by me.

Mike and I were in movie mode yesterday. First we watched Gran Torino, Clint Eastwood's new flick. I'm not usually a huge Eastwood fan, but the movie was much better than I expected. At first I was disappointed in the ending, but after reflecting on it, I decided that really it was the proper ending. Then last night we watched The Untouchables, which I adore. It's not my usual type of movie, but I enjoyed it as much today as I did when I first saw it almost 20 years ago. (The movie is actually 22 years old, but I resisted watching it at first because, again, NOT my kind of movie.)

No comments: