Sunday, February 23, 2020

2020 sewing goals

I dearly miss sewing. It's been years and several moves since I really had my sewing stuff organized and felt like I could sit down and work on a project. I've done some stuff here and there, like when I sewed an Elsa dress for my friend Tammy's daughter over 5 years ago, but that generally involves me re-buying supplies that I know I already have around here somewhere, and that's not a good feeling.

In the fall of 2017, I bought some cozy anteater flannel with the brief intention of making Annabelle some pajama pants for Christmas (the girl does love her some anteaters and pajamas!). I quickly realized that was an unrealistic goal given my time limitations, but I gave her the flannel anyway along with the promise of making the pants one day. We even discussed maybe working on them together at some future point. The summer after she graduated from college would have been excellent, as would the few months she was home last year attending a software development bootcamp. Somehow it never happened though.

Last summer I started listening to the Love to Sew Podcast in the hopes that it would inspire me to get my "sewjo" back. It did to a point, and despite the fact that my sewing supplies were still stashed in at least 3 different closets, I set out to make the pajama pants in time for my October visit to Boston. Alas, I was able to finish everything but the hem, so I took them up for her to try on so I could mark the hem, but then I brought them home where they sat untouched for another couple of months.

I have 2 sewing projects as part of my 20 for 2020. The first was to finish the anteater pants, which I'm pleased to announce I finally accomplished. Last month I shipped them off to her, asking only that she send me a video clip that I could use for my one-second project (two birds, one stone, etc.). Here she is modelling them and looking very pleased:



Here's a closer pic of the fabric:



The second part of the goal is to make her a dress out of some really cool fabric I found at Spoonflower. I'll write more about that as it develops. This is part of a larger goal of learning how to sew with knits. To that end, all I've done so far is done most of a mockup using cheap fabric to make sure I know what I'm doing before I order and cut into the good stuff. First though, I've gotta organize my sewing stuff!

No comments: