Saturday, November 11, 2006

The details

Sorry to drop the library-school bomb without any details last night. I was in a panic that I might not have anything to blog for yesterday (Annabelle and I spent the whole day shopping, which was fun but not really blog-worthy), so I just shared the news without stopping to think that it might raise a few questions.

Basically, ages ago I got to be friends with the reference librarians at my law school and quickly decided that they had the best jobs in the place. Once I got my law degree, I kept thinking, "I should have gone to library school."

It is really hard though to go to school when you're chasing babies and moving every other year, so I put my interest in library science on the back burner and focused on other things. The "babies" are requiring less and less chasing these days, and now through the miracle of the internet, you can go to school without ever leaving your house.

Fred will hit 20 years active duty this January, and while we have no immediate plans for him retiring, we are starting to have a lot of conversations about what we might like to do when we grow up. During the course of these conversations, I realized that I still would like to get my MLS, so I ordered copies of my transcripts and dropped an application with FSU, one of several institutions that offer their MLS program entirely over the internet. (Thank goodness I still had a record of my GRE scores from October of 1986!) They were crazy enough to accept me, so I'm planning to start in the spring with just a couple of classes.

No comments: